Timeless Advice Every 20-Something Entrepreneur Should Know
As I made another year around the sun, my grasp on the remainder of my 20s are gradually but surely loosening. Growing older may seem like a lifetime away, but when you’re there, it actually happens quite rapidly. I liken myself to being a young budding tree that will hopefully and establish its roots for years to come, spreading knowledge and wisdom far and wide through my figurative branches. As I ease myself into the last year of my 20s, I am reminded that the best way to make an impact is to share what you already know unto others. Much like passing on a family heirloom watch from Movado, wisdom is a gift that keeps on giving.
Without further ado, here are some pieces of advice that I feel every 20-something should know for good:
- Confront issues and obstacles with integrity and honesty. I find that whenever an issue arises in our personal or professional lives, we tend to justify it with white little lies. Eventually these lies build a formidable facade, a wall that seemingly guards us from ever confronting the issue at hand. Whether it's burning secret that is eating away at you or a political issue in the workplace, we owe it to ourselves to resolve these issues promptly and transparently. Any other way is a waste of time.
- Don't overthink every situation. Sometimes they're just as simple as they appear to be. Our minds have a tendency to trick and lure us into over thinking, especially in social situations where our interactions play an immense role in cultivating important relationships. This is perhaps the most applicable in networking scenarios, where it's better to go with the flow.
- Spend and invest your time with the right people. Life ebbs and flows; friendships come and go. Some people are blessed with friendships of a lifetime; some of us are just not. I’ve come to accept the latter reality the hard way. The most important thing is not to nurture detrimental friendships and encourage broken ones from forming. We've all been there in every stage of our lives, hanging out with the wrong crowd while they drown you negativity and peer pressure. Or even liaised and worked with a business contact on a project gone awry. Any self-respecting adult would have no time or money for that!
- You don't need to have it all figured out. I spent the majority of years during college and right after it, ardently trying to figure out what is it that I wanted to do. This constant rumination, in retrospect, only slowed me down. So I kept doing, interviewing, and focusing on what drove me to where I ultimately am now. It’s true what they say: The journey matters more than the destination.
- Invest, invest, invest. This piece of advice may not resonate with everybody, especially when there's a housing crisis in this country and more socio-political turmoil than ever. Call me naive, but I still believe in the power of investing. I believe investing in residential or commercial property with your money can only stabilize your finances long-term. Investing in a quality wardrobe that is timeless can stretch your dollar so much further than pure fast-fashion consumption.
- And there’s never a right time — the time is now. There’s nothing I dislike more than wasting time thinking instead of acting. I make sure that there is no wasted time with my Movado BOLD watch. A classic time piece is a great reminder that your time is always precious, no matter what you choose to do with it.
As with any advice column or wisdom drop, please take everything with a grain of salt. I understand that life isn’t just a linear path we all lead but rather multitudes of trajectories exist. I’d love to learn more about yours and what other timeless pieces of advice you have in the comments below!
PS. In light of my recent birthday, I am giving away a Movado Bold watch on Instagram! Head on over here to enter.
This story was produced in partnership with Movado; all words and experiences are mine alone.